Signs and symptoms of testicular cancer include:
- A lump or enlargement in either testicle
- A feeling of heaviness in the scrotum
- A dull ache in the abdomen or groin
- A sudden collection of fluid in the scrotum
- Pain or discomfort in a testicle or the scrotum
- Enlargement or tenderness of the breasts
- Back pain
Cancer usually affects only one testicle.
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you detect any pain, swelling or lumps in your testicles or groin area, especially if these signs and symptoms last longer than two weeks.
Nov. 06, 2014
- Niederhuber JE, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- Testicular cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- Testicular self-examination (TSE). Urology Care Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=101. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- Ilic D, et al. Screening for testicular cancer. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2011;CD007853. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007853.pub2/abstract. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 7, 2014.
- Cheney SM, et al. Robot-assisted retroperitoneal lymph node dissection: Technique and initial case series of 18 patients. BJU International. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bju.12804/abstract. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
- Boorjian SA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 29, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.