You're likely to first bring your problem to the attention of your family doctor. He or she may refer you to a sports medicine specialist or an orthopedic surgeon.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list that answers the following questions:
- When did your symptoms begin?
- Does any motion or activity make the pain better or worse?
- Have you recently injured your elbow?
- What medications or supplements do you take?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
- Do you have rheumatoid arthritis or a nerve disease?
- Does your job involve repetitive motions of your wrist or arm?
- Do you play sports? If so, what types of sports do you play and has your technique ever been evaluated?