Coping and support
Tests and diagnosis
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
SPECT scans use radioactive tracers and special cameras to create images of your internal organs. Find out what to expect during your SPECT.
Treatments and drugs
Most pregnant women who have epilepsy deliver healthy babies, yet concerns remain. Here's what you need to know about epilepsy and pregnancy.
Vagus nerve stimulation may be an option when traditional epilepsy treatment doesn't work.
June 25, 2014
- Temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-epilepsy-syndromes/temporal-lobe-epilepsy. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Benbadis SR. Localization-related (partial) epilepsy: Causes and clinical features. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Seizures and epilepsy: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/epilepsy/detail_epilepsy.htm?css=print. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Schachter SC. Surgical therapy of epilepsy in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Tzatha E, et al. Responsive neurostimulation for the treatment of seizures that do not respond to medication. Neurology 2011;77:e79.
- FDA approves responsive stimulation therapy by Neuropace. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsy.com/release/2014/3/fda-approves-responsive-neurostimulation-therapy-neuropace. Accessed April 23, 2014.
- Calpern CH, et al. Deep brain stimulation for epilepsy. Neurotherapeutics. 2008;5:59.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.