Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Drinking alcohol might offer some health benefits. But that's only if you drink responsibly and in moderation.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Nov. 15, 2016
- Homoud MK, et al. Sinus tachycardia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 19, 2016.
- Marchlinski F. In: Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=331§ionid=40727006. Accessed Aug. 19, 2016.
- Heidenreich J. In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Emergency Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.com Accessed Aug. 19, 2016.
- What is an arrhythmia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr/. Accessed Aug. 19, 2016.
- Overview of arrhythmias. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/arrhythmias_and_conduction_disorders/overview_of_arrhythmias.html?qt=arrhythmia&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 23, 2016.
- What is catheter ablation? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ablation/. Accessed Aug. 25, 2016.
- Prevention & treatment of arrhythmia. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/PreventionTreatmentofArrhythmia/Prevention-Treatment-of-Arrhythmia_UCM_002026_Article.jsp. Accessed Aug. 25, 2016.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 14, 2016.
- Tachycardia — Fast heart rate. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Tachycardia-Fast-Heart-Rate_UCM_302018_Article.jsp#.V7s5Rmf2bIU. Accessed Aug. 22, 2016.
- Venkatachalam KL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 3, 2016.