Find out about this rare cause of heart attack in young, healthy people.
Do you feel trapped in your own home? Do you worry about having a panic attack? Find out how agoraphobia can be treated.
Drinking alcohol might offer some health benefits. But that's only if you drink responsibly and in moderation.
Amniotic fluid embolism — Overview covers definition, symptoms and treatment of this pregnancy or post-pregnancy condition.
Atrioventricular canal defect is a congenital heart defect involving a hole in the center of the heart and abnormal valves between the heart's chambers.
Bee stings — Comprehensive overview covers prevention, treatment of bee stings.
Carcinoid tumors sometimes secrete chemicals that cause the signs and symptoms of carcinoid syndrome. Carcinoid tumors are rare. Carcinoid syndrome is even rarer.
You normally lose about 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water every day — much more during exercise or illness. Learn how to stay hydrated.
A diabetic coma is a medical emergency. Minimize the effects with prompt treatment.
Dizziness is one of the most common health concerns. However, few cases of dizziness are due to serious conditions.
Egg allergy can cause a serious reaction in children and adults. Here's how to recognize egg allergy symptoms, and what to do if a severe reaction occurs.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Factor V Leiden is an inherited disorder that results in an increased risk of blood clots. There's no cure, but blood-thinning medication can lower the risk of clotting.
Finding time for fitness can be tough. Start by making it convenient.
Hangovers are the unwelcome result of drinking too much alcohol. However unpleasant, most hangovers go away on their own within eight to 24 hours.
Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Heart failure means your heart can't efficiently pump blood throughout your body. Medications, and sometimes devices or surgery, can help you manage this condition.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Discover why saying no may be the single most important strategy you can use for stress relief.
Hyperthyroidism occurs when your thyroid gland produces too much of the hormone thyroxine — speeding up your metabolism and sometimes leading to serious complications.
Hypoplastic left heart syndrome is a rare and complex congenital heart condition in which the left side of the heart is underdeveloped.
Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs) can control abnormal, life-threatening heart rhythms and prevent cardiac arrest.
Healthier recipes may be as close as your own pantry. See which ingredient substitutions you can make to improve your diet.
Iron deficiency anemia may leave you feeling sapped of energy. This condition is especially common in women. Iron supplements usually help.
A pacemaker can correct a heartbeat that's too slow. Find out the risks, results and recovery time of the procedure to implant a pacemaker.
Panic attacks can make you feel like you're having a heart attack. Learn how to manage these intense bursts of fear.
Peanut allergy can be serious. Find out what you need to know to prevent a life-threatening reaction.
Pericardial effusion, the accumulation of excess fluid in the sac-like structure around the heart, can decrease heart function and can be life-threatening.
Phobias are persistent, unreasonable fears that can affect many aspects of your life. Common phobias include a fear of snakes, open spaces and social situations.
Pituitary tumors are abnormal growths in the pituitary gland in the brain. Most are noncancerous (benign). Some may cause overproduction of hormones and associated problems.
Scorpion stings may be painful but are often harmless. Always seek medical treatment for a child who has received a sting.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
You can prevent tetanus — a serious bacterial disease — simply by being immunized against the disease.
Most thyroid nodules — lumps in the thyroid gland — cause no problems. But nodules that affect swallowing, produce excess thyroid hormone or are malignant require treatment.
A tilt table test is used to investigate the cause of fainting (syncope).
A heart with tricuspid atresia doesn't have a tricuspid valve. This heart defect prevents blood flow from the right atrium to the right ventricle.
Vasovagal syncope (fainting) is a sudden and brief loss of consciousness that occurs when the blood flow to your brain is markedly reduced.
May. 06, 2014
- Ganz LI. Sinus tachycardia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=331§ionid=40727006. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- Stone CK, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Emergency Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=385§ionid=40357251&jumpsectionID=40365877. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- What is an arrhythmia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- Overview of arrhythmias. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/arrhythmias_and_conduction_disorders/overview_of_arrhythmias.html?qt=arrhythmia&alt=sh. Accessed Jan. 6, 2014.
- What is catheter ablation? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ablation/. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Prevention & treatment of arrhythmia. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/PreventionTreatmentofArrhythmia/Prevention-Treatment-of-Arrhythmia_UCM_002026_Article.jsp. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 5, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.