Living with syringomyelia and its complications can be extremely difficult. You may feel as if syringomyelia affects every aspect of your life and would love to not think about it for a day, especially if you have constant reminders, such as chronic pain or nerve issues. This may leave you feeling anxious or depressed and may ultimately affect your relationships with friends and family, your work performance and the overall quality of your life. Having someone to talk with or lean on can be invaluable. Whether it's a trusted friend, counselor or therapist, you may find encouragement and comfort in a good listener.
Another source of support and information may be a syringomyelia support group. Your doctor may be able to recommend a local group, or you can find groups online. Support groups provide a forum for sharing experiences and can be good sources of information, offering useful or helpful tips for people with syringomyelia.
Feb. 19, 2011
- Syringomyelia fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/syringomyelia/detail_syringomyelia.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2010.
- Hauser SL, et al. Diseases of the spinal cord. In: Fauci AS, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2904462&searchStr=syringomyelia#2904462. Accessed Dec. 6, 2010.
- What is syringomyelia? American Syringomyelia & Chiari Alliance Project. http://www.asap.org/syringomyelia. Accessed Dec. 12, 2010.
- Chiari malformation and syringomyelia: A handbook for patients and their families. Chiari and Syringomyelia Foundation. http://www.csfinfo.org/chiari_syringomyelia_cm_sm_handbook. Accessed Dec. 10, 2010.
- Simon RP, et al. Disorders of somatic sensation. In: Aminoff MJ, et al. Clinical Neurology. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill; 2005. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=5149281&searchStr=syringomyelia. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.
- Eisen A. Disorders affecting the spinal cord. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 6, 2010.
- Krauss WE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 17, 2010.