Living with syringomyelia and its complications can be extremely difficult. You may feel as if syringomyelia affects every aspect of your life and would love to not think about it for a day, especially if you have constant reminders, such as chronic pain or nerve issues.
This may leave you feeling anxious or depressed and may ultimately affect your relationships with friends and family, your work performance, and the overall quality of your life.
Having someone to talk with or lean on can be invaluable. Whether it's a trusted friend, counselor or therapist, you may find encouragement and comfort in a good listener.
Another source of support and information may be a syringomyelia support group. Your doctor may be able to recommend a local group, or you can find groups online. Support groups provide a forum for sharing experiences and can be good sources of information, offering useful or helpful tips for people with syringomyelia.
March 25, 2014
- Syringomyelia fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/syringomyelia/detail_syringomyelia.htm. Accessed Sept. 17, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=13162&searchStr=syringomyelia. Accessed Sept. 17, 2013.
- Eisen A. Disorders affecting the spinal cord. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 17, 2013.
- Sekula RF, et al. The pathogenesis of Chiari I malformation and syringomyelia. Neurological Research. 2011;33:232.
- NINDS meningitis and encephalitis information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/encephalitis_meningitis/encephalitis_meningitis.htm.Accessed Sept. 18, 2013.
- Brett-Fleegler M. Evaluation of neck stiffness in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 18, 2013.
- Abrams GM, et al. Chronic complications of spinal cord injury. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 18, 2013.
- Muthusamy P, et al. Syringomyelia. First Consult. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2013.
- Noseworthy JH. Neurological Therapeutics: Principles and Practice. London, U.K.: Martin Dunitz; 2003:2520.
- Support & resources: Find support. American Syringomyelia and Chiari Alliance Project. http://asap.org/index.php/resources/find-support/. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Support groups. American Chronic Pain Association. http://www.theacpa.org/Support-Groups. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.