You face an increased risk of acquiring syphilis if you:
Jan. 02, 2014
- Engage in unprotected sex
- Have sex with multiple partners
- Are a man who has sex with men
- Are infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS
- Syphilis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/default.htm. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Hicks CB, et al. Pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and treatment of early syphilis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Hicks CB. Diagnostic testing for syphilis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Roett MA, et al. Diagnosis and management of genital ulcers. American Family Physician. 2012;85:254.
- Ho EL, et al. Syphilis: Using modern approaches to understand an old disease. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2011;121:4584.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, et al. Sexually transmitted diseases: Treatment guidelines 2010. MMWR. 2010;59:1. www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5912a1.htm. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Partner services FAQs for the public and consumers of partner services activities. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/partners/faq-public.html. Accessed July 9, 2013.