The cause of syphilis is a bacterium called Treponema pallidum. The most common route of transmission is through contact with an infected person's sore during sexual activity. The bacteria enter your body through minor cuts or abrasions in your skin or mucous membranes. Syphilis is contagious during its primary and secondary stages, and sometimes in the early latent period.
Less commonly, syphilis may spread through direct unprotected close contact with an active lesion (such as during kissing) or through an infected mother to her baby during pregnancy or childbirth (congenital syphilis).
Syphilis can't be spread by using the same toilet, bathtub, clothing or eating utensils, or from doorknobs, swimming pools or hot tubs.
Once cured, syphilis doesn't recur. However, you can become reinfected if you have contact with someone's syphilis sore.
Jan. 02, 2014
- Syphilis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/default.htm. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Hicks CB, et al. Pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and treatment of early syphilis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Hicks CB. Diagnostic testing for syphilis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Roett MA, et al. Diagnosis and management of genital ulcers. American Family Physician. 2012;85:254.
- Ho EL, et al. Syphilis: Using modern approaches to understand an old disease. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2011;121:4584.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, et al. Sexually transmitted diseases: Treatment guidelines 2010. MMWR. 2010;59:1. www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5912a1.htm. Accessed June 28, 2013.
- Partner services FAQs for the public and consumers of partner services activities. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/partners/faq-public.html. Accessed July 9, 2013.