How to administer first aid for sunburn.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Want a tanned look without exposing your skin to the sun's damaging rays? Consider sunless tanning products.
Sunscreen is an essential part of any sun protection plan. Here's what you need to know.
May. 01, 2014
- Young AR, et al. Sunburn. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Baron ED. Selection of sunscreen and sun-protective measures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Chien AL, et al. Photoaging. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Geller AC, et al. Primary prevention of melanoma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 5, 2013.
- Bolognia JL, et al. Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 25, 2013.
- The Risks of Tanning. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/radiation-emittingproducts/radiationemittingproductsandprocedures/tanning/ucm116432.htm. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Benzocaine topical products: Sprays, gels and liquids: Risk of methemoglobinemia. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm250264.htm. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Sunburn (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Reed KB, et al. Increasing incidence of melanoma among young adults: An epidemiological study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:328.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=56050969. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Watson M, et al. Preventing skin cancer through reduction of indoor tanning: Current evidence. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2013;44:682.
- Quatrano NA, et al. Current principles of sunscreen use in children. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2013;25:122.
- Reinau D, et al. Outdoor workers' sun-related knowledge, attitudes and protective behaviours: A systematic review of cross-sectional and interventional studies. British Journal of Dermatology. 2013;168:928.
- Diaz JH, et al. Sun exposure behavior and protection: Recommendations for travelers. Journal of Travel Medicine. 2013;20:108.
- FDA sheds light on sunscreens. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm258416.htm. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Sunscreens. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/sunscreens#.UbdQaJzm9lP. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=45. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- The cutaneous manifestations of metastatic malignant melanoma. International Journal of Dermatology. 2012;51:243.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders, Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.