If you've been sunburned, it may take two days for the severity of your burn to become evident, and several more days for your skin to begin to heal. Sunburn treatment doesn't heal your skin, but it can reduce pain, swelling and discomfort. If at-home care doesn't help or your sunburn is very severe, your doctor may offer treatment to help ease your pain or prevent infection.
June 01, 2017
- Young AR, et al. Sunburn. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2017.
- Baron ED. Selection of sunscreen and sun-protective measures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2017.
- Chien AL, et al. Photoaging. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2017.
- Geller AC, et al. Primary prevention of melanoma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2017.
- Murphy F, et al. Treatment for burn blisters: Debride or leave intact. Emergency Nurse. 2014;22:24.
- The sun and your medicine. U.S. Food & Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesforyou/specialfeatures/ucm464195.htm. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- The risks of tanning. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/radiation-emittingproducts/radiationemittingproductsandprocedures/tanning/ucm116432.htm. Accessed Jan. 20, 2017.
- Benzocaine topical products: Sprays, gels and liquids: Risk of methemoglobinemia. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm250264.htm. Accessed Jan. 20, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Sunburn. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Kong BY, et al. Assessment of consumer knowledge of new sunscreen labels. JAMA Dermatology. 2015;151:1028.
- Bope ET, et al. Sunburn. In: Conn's Current Therapy 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 20, 2017.
- Reed KB, et al. The cutaneous manifestations of metastatic malignant melanoma. International Journal of Dermatology. 2012;51:243.
- Sunscreen FAQs. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/sunscreens#.UbdQaJzm9lP. Accessed Jan. 20, 2017.
- Diaz JH, et al. Sun exposure behavior and protection: Recommendations for travelers. Journal of Travel Medicine. 2013;20:108.
- Reinau D, et al. Outdoor workers' sun-related knowledge, attitudes and protective behaviours: A systematic review of cross-sectional and interventional studies. British Journal of Dermatology. 2013;168:928.