Tests and diagnosis

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Your doctor is likely to conduct a physical exam and to ask questions about your symptoms, UV exposure and sunburn history.

If you experience sunburns or skin reactions after relatively minor exposures to sunlight, your doctor may recommend phototesting. During phototesting, small areas of your skin are exposed to measured amounts of UVA and UVB light to try to reproduce the problem. If your skin reacts to the UV radiation, you're considered sensitive to sunlight (photosensitive).

Apr. 14, 2011