Coping and support
Infant death causes heart-wrenching grief. A Mayo Clinic psychologist offers parents insight and hope.
It's never too soon to encourage good sleep habits. Find out how to help your baby sleep through the night.
Many newborns have slightly lopsided heads. Here's help promoting a more symmetrical head shape.
Breast-feeding might take more practice — and patience — than you ever imagined. Here's help understanding the basics.
Pacifiers are considered must-have baby gear by many parents. Pacifiers, however, can have drawbacks. Understand pacifier do's and don'ts.
Caring for a premature baby can be physically and emotionally exhausting. Here's help.
It might be someone else's smoke, but the risks are yours. Consider simple steps for avoiding secondhand smoke.
Smoking during pregnancy is a no-win situation. Get the facts about tobacco use during pregnancy, and know where to turn for quit-smoking support.
Oct. 21, 2011
- Hunt CE, et al. Sudden infant death syndrome. In: Kliegman RM. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed March 31, 2011.
- Corwin MJ. Sudden infant death syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 31, 2011.
- Maitra A. Sudden infant death syndrome. In: Kumar V, et al. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, Professional Edition. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0792-2..50015-8--cesec51&isbn=978-1-4377-0792-2&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0792-2..50015-8--cesec55&uniqId=238364706-3. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Moon RY, et al. SIDS and other sleep-related infant deaths: Expansion of recommendations for a safe infant sleep environment. Pediatrics. 2011;128:1030. www.pediatrics.org/cgi/doi/10.1542/peds.2011-2284. Accessed Oct. 18, 2011.
- Hauck FR, et al. Breastfeeding and reduced risk of sudden infant death syndrome: A meta-analysis. Pediatrics.2011;128:103.