Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Aug. 20, 2014
- Stuttering. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/stuttering.htm. Accessed July 21, 2014.
- Childhood-onset fluency disorder (stuttering). In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed July 21, 2014.
- Stuttering. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/pages/stutter.aspx. Accessed July 21, 2014.
- The facts. Stuttering Foundation of America. http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=17. Accessed July 21, 2014.
- 7 tips for talking with your child. Stuttering Foundation of America. http://www.stutteringhelp.org/7-tips-talking-your-child-0. Accessed July 21, 2014.
- Craig A, et al. Trait and social anxiety in adults with chronic stuttering: Conclusions following meta-analysis. Journal of Fluency Disorders. 2014;40:35.
- Blomgren M. Behavioral treatments for children and adults who stutter: A review. Psychology Research and Behavior Management. 2013;6:9.
- Strand EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 28, 2014.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2014.