Stretch marks don't all look alike. They vary depending on how long you've had them, what caused them and where they are on your body, as well as on the type of skin you have. Common variations include:
- Indented streaks or lines in the skin
- Multiple pink, red or purple streaks
- Bright streaks that fade to a light pink, white or grayish color
Stretch marks are common on the abdomen, breasts, upper arms, buttocks and thighs. Sometimes they can cover large areas of the body.
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you're concerned about the appearance of your skin or if the stretch marks cover large areas of your body. Your doctor can help determine the cause of the stretch marks and can discuss possible treatment options.
Jan. 10, 2013
- Mom and baby skin care. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/mom-and-baby-skin-care. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Pomerantz MK. The skin, hair, nails, and mucous membranes during pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Hussain HA, et al. Stretch marks and treatment efficacies. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2012;66(suppl):AB29.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Nov. 15, 2012.
- Shipman AR, et al. Obesity and the skin. British Journal of Dermatology. 2011;165:743.
- Goel A, et al. Fractional lasers in dermatology — Current status and recommendations. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology. 2011;77:369.
- Soltanipoor F, et al. The effect of olive oil on prevention of striae gravidarum: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2012;20:263.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 26, 2012.
- Tretinoin. Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Gotu kola. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.