Treatments and drugsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Treatment depends on the type of stomach polyps you have:
- Small polyps that aren't adenomas. These polyps might not require treatment. They typically don't cause signs and symptoms and only rarely become cancerous. Your doctor might recommend periodic monitoring so that growing polyps or polyps that cause signs and symptoms can be removed.
- Large polyps. These polyps might need to be removed. Most stomach polyps can be removed during endoscopy.
- Adenomas. These polyps can become cancerous and are usually removed during endoscopy.
- Polyps associated with familial adenomatous polyposis. These polyps are removed because they can become cancerous.
Your doctor will likely recommend follow-up endoscopy to check for recurring polyps.
Treating H. pylori infection
If you have gastritis caused by H. pylori bacteria in your stomach, your doctor will likely recommend treatment with antibiotics. Treating an H. pylori infection may make hyperplastic polyps disappear, and may also stop polyps from recurring.
Oct. 17, 2015
- Mahachai V, et al. Gastric polyps. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Do cystic fundic gland polyps need to be treated? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Gore RM. Benign tumors of the stomach and duodenum. In: Textbook of Gastrointestinal Radiology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- Odze RD. Polyps of the stomach. In: Odze and Goldblum Surgical Pathology of the GI Tract, Liver, Biliary Tract and Pancreas. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- Kumar V. Gastric polyps and tumors. In: Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- Sonnenberg A, et al. Prevalence of benign gastric polyps in a large pathology database. Digestive and Liver Disease. 2015;47:164.
- Evans JA, et al. The role of endoscopy in the management of premalignant and malignant conditions of the stomach. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2015;82:1.
- Shaib YH, et al. Management of gastric polyps: An endoscopy-based approach. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013;11:1374.