Stomach polyps usually don't cause signs or symptoms. But as a stomach polyp enlarges, open sores (ulcers) may develop on its surface. In rare occurrences, the polyp blocks the opening between your stomach and your small intestine.
If you have stomach polyps, you may experience:
- Pain or tenderness when you press your stomach area (abdomen)
When to see a doctor
If you have any persistent signs or symptoms that worry you, make an appointment with your doctor.
Oct. 17, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. http://www.mdconsult.com/book/player/linkTo?type=bookHome&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&uniq=200844987-3. Accessed Aug. 19, 2012.
- Kumar V, et al. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0792-2..X5001-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0792-2&uniqId=352179482-8. Accessed Aug. 19, 2012.
- Goddard AF, et al. The management of gastric polyps. Gut. 2010;59:1270.
- Park DY, et al. Gastric polyps: Classification and management. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2008;132:633.
- Picco MP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 22, 2012.
- H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.htm. Accessed Aug. 20, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Do cystic fundic gland polyps need to be treated? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.