Stomach cancer is cancer that occurs in the stomach — the muscular sac located in the upper middle of your abdomen, just below your ribs. Your stomach receives and holds the food you eat and then helps to break down and digest it.
Another term for stomach cancer is gastric cancer. These two terms most often refer to stomach cancer that begins in the mucus-producing cells on the inside lining of the stomach (adenocarcinoma). Adenocarcinoma is the most common type of stomach cancer.
Stomach cancer is uncommon in the United States, and the number of people diagnosed with the disease each year is declining. Stomach cancer is much more common in other areas of the world.
Stomach cancer care at Mayo Clinic
May 18, 2016
- AskMayoExpert. Esophageal and gastric cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Cancer of the stomach and gastroesophageal junction. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 23, 2016.
- Feldman M, et al. Adenocarcinoma of the stomach and other gastric tumors. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 23, 2016.
- Gastric cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed March 23, 2016.
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors treatment – Patient version (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/soft-tissue-sarcoma/patient/gist-treatment-pdq. Accessed March 24, 2016.
- Palliative care. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed March 23, 2016.
- Singh S, et al. Physical activity is associated with reduced risk of gastric cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancer Prevention Research. 2014;7:12.