Retinal detachment is a medical emergency. Without prompt treatment, this condition can lead to permanent loss of vision.
Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine. Most cases are mild, but severe cases may require treatment with braces or surgery.
Tests and diagnosis
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Treatments and drugs
Cataract surgery successfully restores vision in an overwhelming majority of cases. Find out what cataract surgery involves, including what to expect afterward and rare complications.
A cataract occurs when the normally clear lens in your eye becomes cloudy, often impairing vision. Fortunately, cataract surgery is safe and effective.
Ear tubes surgically placed in the eardrums may prevent the accumulation of fluids in the middle ears and decrease the frequency of ear infections.
Find out what to expect before, during and after knee replacement surgery.
A tracheostomy, a surgically created hole in the windpipe, enables a person to breathe when normal breathing is obstructed.
Jan. 28, 2014
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Snead MP, et al. Stickler syndrome, ocular-only variants and a key diagnostic role for the ophthalmologist. Eye. 2011;25:1389.
- Couchouron T, et al. Early-onset progressive osteoarthritis with hereditary progressive ophthalmopathy or Stickler syndrome. Joint Bone Spine. 2010;78:45.
- Buchanan EP, et al. Syndromes with craniofacial abnormalities. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Pagon RA, et al. GeneReviews. Seattle, Wash.: University of Washington, Seattle; 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1302. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Acke FR, et al. Hearing impairment in Stickler syndrome: A systematic review. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2012;7:84.
- Michels VV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 24, 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..C2009-0-40427-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=364938937-2. Accessed May 29, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.