The signs and symptoms of Stickler syndrome — and the severity of those signs and symptoms — can vary widely from person to person.
- Eye problems. In addition to severe nearsightedness, children who have Stickler syndrome often experience cataracts, glaucoma and retinal detachments.
- Hearing difficulties. The extent of hearing loss varies among people who have Stickler syndrome. It usually affects the ability to hear high frequencies.
- Bone and joint abnormalities. Children who have Stickler syndrome often have overly flexible joints and are more likely to develop abnormal curvatures of the spine, such as scoliosis. Osteoarthritis can begin in adolescence.
When to see a doctor
Regular follow-up visits, as well as yearly visits to doctors specializing in eye disorders, are crucial to monitor any progression of symptoms. Early treatment can help prevent life-altering complications. Hearing should be checked every six months in children through age 5 and then yearly thereafter.
Jan. 28, 2014
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Snead MP, et al. Stickler syndrome, ocular-only variants and a key diagnostic role for the ophthalmologist. Eye. 2011;25:1389.
- Couchouron T, et al. Early-onset progressive osteoarthritis with hereditary progressive ophthalmopathy or Stickler syndrome. Joint Bone Spine. 2010;78:45.
- Buchanan EP, et al. Syndromes with craniofacial abnormalities. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Pagon RA, et al. GeneReviews. Seattle, Wash.: University of Washington, Seattle; 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1302. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Acke FR, et al. Hearing impairment in Stickler syndrome: A systematic review. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2012;7:84.
- Michels VV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 24, 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..C2009-0-40427-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=364938937-2. Accessed May 29, 2013.