Potential complications of Stickler syndrome include:
Jan. 28, 2014
- Difficulty breathing or feeding. Breathing or feeding difficulties may occur in babies born with an opening in the roof of the mouth (cleft palate), a small lower jaw and a tendency for the tongue to drop back toward the throat.
- Blindness. Blindness can occur if glaucoma or cataracts go untreated or if retinal detachments aren't repaired promptly.
- Ear infections. Children with facial structure abnormalities associated with Stickler syndrome are more likely to develop ear infections than are children with normal facial features.
- Deafness. Hearing loss may worsen with time and a small percentage of people with Stickler syndrome eventually become completely deaf.
- Heart problems. Some people with Stickler syndrome may be at higher risk of heart valve problems.
- Dental problems. Most children who have Stickler syndrome have abnormally small jaws, so there often isn't enough room for the full complement of adult teeth. Braces or, in some cases, dental surgeries may be necessary.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Snead MP, et al. Stickler syndrome, ocular-only variants and a key diagnostic role for the ophthalmologist. Eye. 2011;25:1389.
- Couchouron T, et al. Early-onset progressive osteoarthritis with hereditary progressive ophthalmopathy or Stickler syndrome. Joint Bone Spine. 2010;78:45.
- Buchanan EP, et al. Syndromes with craniofacial abnormalities. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Pagon RA, et al. GeneReviews. Seattle, Wash.: University of Washington, Seattle; 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1302. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Acke FR, et al. Hearing impairment in Stickler syndrome: A systematic review. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2012;7:84.
- Michels VV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 24, 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..C2009-0-40427-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=364938937-2. Accessed May 29, 2013.