The following tips can help you prevent a sprained ankle or a recurring sprain:
- Warm up before you exercise or play sports.
- Be careful when walking, running or working on an uneven surface.
- Use an ankle support brace or tape on a weak or previously injured ankle.
- Wear shoes that fit well and are made for your activity.
- Minimize wearing high-heeled shoes.
- Don't play sports or participate in activities for which you are not conditioned.
- Maintain good muscle strength and flexibility.
- Practice stability training, including balance exercises.