Schedule an appointment or get emergency medical care for suspected sprains that don't respond to self-care strategies or that cause continued pain or instability. If your sprain is severe, you may be referred to a doctor who specializes in sports medicine or orthopedic surgery.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that includes the following:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you've had, especially past ankle injuries
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
- How did the injury occur?
- Which direction did your foot turn when you injured it?
- Can you bear weight on that foot?
- What self-care treatment have you used?
- What effect did the treatment have?
- Have you injured your ankle before?
- How was that injury treated?