Mayo Clinic Cancer Center is a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated comprehensive cancer center, giving you access to new developments and treatments for spinal cord tumors. Mayo Clinic participates in several cooperative clinical trials networks and is the research base for the North Central Cancer Treatment Group.
Mayo Clinic's research on spinal cord tumors includes finding ways to:
- Use technology for earlier diagnosis and to improve surgical techniques for tumor removal
- Avoid late complications related to tumor removal and identify which tumors are safe to monitor rather than remove
- Best treat astrocytomas, a type of spinal cord tumor
Read about Mayo Clinic's neuro-oncology research program activities.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on spinal cord tumors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine
Oct. 21, 2011
- Donthineni R. Diagnosis and staging of spine tumors. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2009;40:1.
- Brain and spinal tumors: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brainandspinaltumors/detail_brainandspinaltumors.htm#43233060. Accessed Aug. 28, 2011.
- DeAngelis LM. Tumors of the central nervous system and intracranial hypertension and hypotension. In: Goldman L, et al., eds. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Sept. 2, 2011
- Spinal cord tumors. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec17/ch236/ch236g.html. Accessed Aug. 31, 2011.
- Smith ML, et al. Neurosurgery. In: Brunicardi FC, et al., eds. Schwartz's Principles of Surgery. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=5020575. Accessed Sept. 1, 2011.
- Gurd DP. Back pain in the young athlete. Sports Medicine Arthroscopy Review. 2011;19:7
- Detailed guide: Brain and spinal cord tumors in adults. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003088-pdf.pdf. Accessed Aug. 28, 2011.
- Sundaresen N. Primary malignant tumors of the spine. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2009;40:21.
- Chamberlain MC, et al. Adult primary intradural spinal cord tumors: A review. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Report. 2011;11:320.
- Sachdev S, et al. Stereotactic radiosurgery yields long-term control for benign intradural, extramedullary spinal tumors. Neurosurgery. 2011;69:533.
- Sagar SM. Acupuncture as an evidence-based option for symptom control in cancer patients. Current Treatment Options in Oncology. 2008;9:117.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 2, 2011.