Lifestyle and home remedies
You'll have regular follow-up appointments with your doctor to monitor your condition. He or she may suggest that you incorporate several home treatments into your life, including:
- Trying pain relievers. Over-the-counter medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others), naproxen (Aleve, others) and acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) can help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Applying hot or cold packs.Some symptoms of cervical spinal stenosis may be relieved by applying heat or ice to your neck.
- Maintaining a healthy weight. Aim to keep a healthy weight. If you're overweight or obese, your doctor may recommend that you lose weight. Losing excess weight can reduce pain by taking some stress off the back, particularly the lumbar portion of the spine.
- Exercising. Flexing, stretching and strengthening exercises may help open up the spine. Talk with a physical therapist or your doctor about what exercises are safe to do at home.
- Using a cane or walker. In addition to providing stability, these assistive devices can help relieve pain by allowing you to bend forward while walking.
Aug. 04, 2017
- Spinal stenosis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. https://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/spinal_stenosis/. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Mechanical and other lesions of the spine, nerve roots and spinal cord. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Frontera WR. Lumbar spinal stenosis. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Cervical stenosis, myelopathy and radiculopathy. North American Spine Society. http://www.knowyourback.org/pages/spinalconditions/degenerativeconditions/cstenosis_myelopathy_radiculopathy.aspx. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Levin K. Lumbar spinal stenosis: Treatment and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Kim K, et al. Nonsurgical Korean integrative treatments for symptomatic lumbar spinal stenosis: A three-armed randomized controlled pilot trial protocol. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2016;2016:2913248. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2016/2913248/. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Dasenbrock HH, et al. The impact of provider volume on the outcomes after surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis. Neurosurgery. 2012;70:1346.
- AskMayoExpert. Lumbar spinal stenosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Minimally invasive lumbar decompression (MILD). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2017.
- Abt NB, et al. Thirty day postoperative outcomes following anterior lumbar interbody fusion using the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. 2016;143:126.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Spinal stenosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2003.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Minimally invasive lumbar decompression (MILD). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Watson JC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2017.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 13, 2017.
- Bydon M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 17, 2017.
- Onishi K, et al. Human adipose-derived mesenchymal stromal/stem cells remain viable and metabolically active following needle passage. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2016;8:844.
- Staats PS, et al. MiDAS ENCORE: Randomized controlled clinical trial report of 6-month results. Pain Physician. 2016;19:25.
- Chou R. Subacute and chronic low back pain: Nonsurgical interventional treatment. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 22, 2017.
- Chou R, et al. Nonpharmacologic therapies for low back pain: A systematic review for an American College of Physicians Clinical Practice Guidelines. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2017;166:1.
- Morrey ME, et al. Molecular landscape of arthrofibrosis: Microarray and bioinformatics analysis of the temporal expression of 380 genes during contracture genesis. Gene. 2017;610:15.