Back pain can come on gradually or suddenly. Most back pain responds to home treatment within a few weeks.
An occasional cough is normal and healthy. A cough that persists for weeks signals an underlying problem.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Stem cells are under study to treat diverse conditions from blood cancers to Parkinson's and heart failure. Researchers have uncovered some potential new sources that offer additional opportunities for developing regenerative solutions.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Oct. 08, 2014
- Adams JG. Emergency Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 9, 2014.
- Hansebout RR, et al. Acute traumatic spinal cord injury. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 9, 2014.
- Spinal trauma. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries_poisoning/spinal_trauma/spinal_trauma.html. Accessed July 9, 2014.
- Spinal cord injury facts. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Fact%20Sheets.aspx. Accessed July 9, 2014.
- Spinal cord injury facts and figures at a glance. National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center. https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/. Accessed July 9, 2014.
- Spinal cord injury prevention tips. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/~/media/Files/Patient%20Information/Patient%20Safety%20Tips/spinal_cord_injury_prevention.ashx. Accessed July 9, 2014.
- Vodusek DB. Lower urinary tract and sexual dysfunction in neurological patients. European Neurology. 2014;72:109.
- Spinal cord injury: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/sci/detail_sci.htm. Accessed July 9, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.