Why choose Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic specialists treat more than 40 people with this rare condition.
- Imaging expertise. Mayo Clinic has radiologists who specialize in neurological disorders. These specialists have experience distinguishing between spinal arteriovenous malformations and other spinal lesions.
- Surgical technique. Often, a combination of treatments can provide the best treatment results. Mayo has neurosurgeons with experience in surgical and other techniques for treating spinal arteriovenous malformations.
- New ideas. Mayo Clinic researchers are working to improve diagnosis and treatment of spinal arteriovenous malformations. You have access to the expertise of Mayo's clinician-researchers.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
April 25, 2014
- Rubin MN, et al. Vascular diseases of the spinal cord. Neurologic Clinics. 2013;31:153.
- Eisen A. Disorders affecting the spinal cord. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Which cerebral vascular malformations require neurologic and/or neurosurgical consultation? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Arteriovenous malformations and other vascular lesions of the central nervous system fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.4.gov/disorders/avms/detail_avms.htm. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3639296&searchStr=progressive+supranuclear+palsy. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Chaudhary N, et al. Endovascular treatment of adult spinal arteriovenous lesions. Neuroimaging Clinics of North America. 2013;23:729.
- Lanzino G (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 27, 2013.
- Lanzino G, et al. Onyx embolization of extradural spinal arteriovenous malformations with intradural venous drainage. Neurosurgery. 2012;70:329.