Spinal arteriovenous malformations can be difficult to diagnose because signs and symptoms are similar to those of other spinal conditions, such as spinal dural arteriovenous fistula, spinal stenosis, multiple sclerosis or a spinal cord tumor.
Your doctor is likely to recommend:
April 25, 2014
- MRI, which can identify a mass resulting from abnormally connected blood vessels.
- Angiography, which is usually needed to determine the location and characteristics of the blood vessels involved in the AVM. A thin tube (catheter) is inserted into an artery in your groin and guided to your spinal cord. Dye is injected into blood vessels in your spinal cord to make them visible under X-ray imaging.
- Rubin MN, et al. Vascular diseases of the spinal cord. Neurologic Clinics. 2013;31:153.
- Eisen A. Disorders affecting the spinal cord. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Which cerebral vascular malformations require neurologic and/or neurosurgical consultation? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Arteriovenous malformations and other vascular lesions of the central nervous system fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.4.gov/disorders/avms/detail_avms.htm. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3639296&searchStr=progressive+supranuclear+palsy. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Chaudhary N, et al. Endovascular treatment of adult spinal arteriovenous lesions. Neuroimaging Clinics of North America. 2013;23:729.
- Lanzino G (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 27, 2013.
- Lanzino G, et al. Onyx embolization of extradural spinal arteriovenous malformations with intradural venous drainage. Neurosurgery. 2012;70:329.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.