Most people with spinal AVM experience few if any significant symptoms.
When symptoms do occur, they vary depending on the severity and location of the AVM. These symptoms usually appear when people are in their 20s, although almost 20 percent of people diagnosed with spinal AVM are under the age of 16.
The onset of symptoms may be sudden or gradual. Symptoms typically include:
- Problems with walking or climbing stairs
- Numbness, tingling or sudden pain in your legs
- Weakness on one or both sides of your body
As the condition progresses, additional symptoms may include:
- Lack of feeling in the legs
- Difficulty urinating or moving your bowels
- Lower back pain
- Stiff neck
- Sensitivity to light
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you experience signs and symptoms of spinal arteriovenous malformation.
April 25, 2014
- Rubin MN, et al. Vascular diseases of the spinal cord. Neurologic Clinics. 2013;31:153.
- Eisen A. Disorders affecting the spinal cord. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Which cerebral vascular malformations require neurologic and/or neurosurgical consultation? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Arteriovenous malformations and other vascular lesions of the central nervous system fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.4.gov/disorders/avms/detail_avms.htm. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3639296&searchStr=progressive+supranuclear+palsy. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Chaudhary N, et al. Endovascular treatment of adult spinal arteriovenous lesions. Neuroimaging Clinics of North America. 2013;23:729.
- Lanzino G (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 27, 2013.
- Lanzino G, et al. Onyx embolization of extradural spinal arteriovenous malformations with intradural venous drainage. Neurosurgery. 2012;70:329.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.