Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine. Most cases are mild, but severe cases may require treatment with braces or surgery.
During pregnancy, a healthy diet is essential. Here are the nutrients that deserve special attention.
Tests and diagnosis
Amniocentesis — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this prenatal test.
During pregnancy you might have the option to pursue various screening tests. Here's what the tests can tell you.
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 27, 2014
- Spina bifida: Facts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/NCBDDD/spinabifida/facts.html. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Spina bifida fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/spina_bifida/detail_spina_bifida.htm. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Fieggen G, et al. Spina bifida: A multidisciplinary perspective on a many-faceted condition. South African Medical Journal. 2014;104:213.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- McLone DG, et al. Pathophysiology and clinical manifestations of myelomeningocele (spina bifida). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Second trimester maternal serum screening. LabTestsOnline. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/triple-screen/tab/sample/. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Hochberg L, et al. Prenatal screening and diagnosis for neural tube defects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Grivell RM, et al. Repair procedures for spina bifida for improving infant and maternal outcomes (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008825/abstract. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- McLone DG, et al. Overview of the management of myelomeningocele (spina bifida). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Folate. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/folate. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 12, 2014.