Spina bifida is part of a group of birth defects called neural tube defects. The neural tube is the embryonic structure that eventually develops into the baby's brain and spinal cord and the tissues that enclose them.
Normally, the neural tube forms early in the pregnancy and closes by the 28th day after conception. In babies with spina bifida, a portion of the neural tube fails to develop or close properly, causing defects in the spinal cord and in the bones of the spine.
Spina bifida occurs in various forms of severity. When treatment for spina bifida is necessary, it's done surgically, although such treatment doesn't always completely resolve the problem.
Aug. 27, 2014
- Spina bifida: Facts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/NCBDDD/spinabifida/facts.html. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Spina bifida fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/spina_bifida/detail_spina_bifida.htm. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Fieggen G, et al. Spina bifida: A multidisciplinary perspective on a many-faceted condition. South African Medical Journal. 2014;104:213.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- McLone DG, et al. Pathophysiology and clinical manifestations of myelomeningocele (spina bifida). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Second trimester maternal serum screening. LabTestsOnline. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/triple-screen/tab/sample/. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Hochberg L, et al. Prenatal screening and diagnosis for neural tube defects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Grivell RM, et al. Repair procedures for spina bifida for improving infant and maternal outcomes (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008825/abstract. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- McLone DG, et al. Overview of the management of myelomeningocele (spina bifida). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Folate. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/folate. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 12, 2014.