While you might first discuss your symptoms with your family doctor, he or she may refer you to a neurologist — a doctor who specializes in disorders of the brain and nervous system — for further evaluation.
What you can do
Because appointments can be brief, plan ahead and write a list that includes:
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
- When did your symptoms start?
- Have your symptoms worsened over time?
- Does anything seem to help relieve your symptoms?
- What medications do you take?