The only way to prevent an allergic reaction is to avoid soy and soy proteins.
Medications, such as antihistamines, may reduce signs and symptoms of soy allergies. Taking an antihistamine after exposure to soy may control your reaction and help relieve discomfort. Over-the-counter antihistamines include: diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton, others), cetirizine (Zyrtec, others) and loratadine (Alavert, Claritin, others).
Despite your best efforts, you can ingest soy unknowingly. If you have a serious allergic reaction, you may need an emergency injection of epinephrine and a trip to the emergency room.
July 11, 2014
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Soy allergy. Food Allergy Research and Education. http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/soy-allergy. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Soy allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. https://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=522. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Savage JH, et al. The natural history of soy allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2010;6:125.
- Masilamani M, et al. Determinants of food allergy. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2012;32:11.
- Burks W. Diagnostic evaluation of food allergy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Shicherer SH. Food allergens: Overview of clinical features and cross-reactivity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Anaphylaxis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/anaphylaxis.aspx. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Li JTC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2014.
- Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/food-protein-induced-enterocolitis-syndrome.aspx. Access March 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.