Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and may perform a physical exam. He or she may recommend one or both of the following tests:
July 11, 2014
- Skin test. Your skin is pricked and exposed to small amounts of the proteins found in soy. If you're allergic, you develop a raised bump (hive) at the test site on your skin. Allergy specialists usually are best equipped to perform and interpret allergy skin tests.
- Blood test. A blood test can measure your immune system's response to soy by measuring the amount of certain antibodies in your bloodstream, known as immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies.
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Soy allergy. Food Allergy Research and Education. http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/soy-allergy. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Soy allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. https://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=522. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Savage JH, et al. The natural history of soy allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2010;6:125.
- Masilamani M, et al. Determinants of food allergy. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2012;32:11.
- Burks W. Diagnostic evaluation of food allergy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Shicherer SH. Food allergens: Overview of clinical features and cross-reactivity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Anaphylaxis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/anaphylaxis.aspx. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Li JTC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2014.
- Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/food-protein-induced-enterocolitis-syndrome.aspx. Access March 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.