Allergy to soy, a product of soybeans, is a common food allergy. Often, soy allergy starts in infancy with reaction to soy-based infant formula. Although most children outgrow soy allergy, some carry the allergy into adulthood.
Mild signs and symptoms of soy allergy include hives or itching in and around the mouth. In rare cases, soy allergy can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis).
If you or your child has a reaction to soy, let your doctor know. Tests can help confirm a soy allergy.
Having a soy allergy means avoiding products that contain soy, which can be difficult. Many foods, such as meat products, bakery goods, chocolate and breakfast cereals, may contain soy.
Jul. 11, 2014
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Soy allergy. Food Allergy Research and Education. http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/soy-allergy. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Soy allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. https://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=522. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Savage JH, et al. The natural history of soy allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2010;6:125.
- Masilamani M, et al. Determinants of food allergy. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2012;32:11.
- Burks W. Diagnostic evaluation of food allergy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Shicherer SH. Food allergens: Overview of clinical features and cross-reactivity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Anaphylaxis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/anaphylaxis.aspx. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Li JTC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2014.
- Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/food-protein-induced-enterocolitis-syndrome.aspx. Access March 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.