Intestinal obstruction — a serious condition that requires prompt medical attention — occurs when a blockage of the intestine prevents food or fluid from passing through.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Treatments and drugs
Sep. 13, 2011
- DeLaney TF. Overview of soft tissue sarcoma. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Sinha S, et al. Diagnosis and management of soft tissue sarcoma. British Medical Journal. 2011;342:157.
- Detailed guide: Sarcoma — Adult soft tissue cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003138-pdf.pdf. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Soft tissue sarcomas. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00508. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Lahat G, et al. Sarcoma epidemiology and etiology: Potential environmental and genetic factors. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2008;88:451.
- Kenney RJ, et al. Soft tissue sarcomas: Current management and future directions. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2009;89:235.
- Thornton K. Chemotherapeutic management of soft tissue sarcoma. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2008;88:647.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 31, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.