CausesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
In most cases, it's not clear what causes soft tissue sarcoma.
In general, cancer occurs when cells develop errors (mutations) in their DNA. The errors make cells grow and divide out of control. The accumulating abnormal cells form a tumor that can grow to invade nearby structures and spread to other parts of the body.
The type of cell that develops the genetic mutation determines what type of soft tissue sarcoma you have. Some types of soft tissue sarcoma include:
July 01, 2015
- Alveolar soft part sarcoma
- Clear cell sarcoma
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
- Desmoplastic small round cell tumor
- Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma
- Epithelioid sarcoma
- Extrarenal rhabdoid tumor
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumor
- Infantile fibrosarcoma
- Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor
- Kaposi's sarcoma
- Malignant fibrous histiocytoma
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor
- Perivascular epitheliod cell tumor (PEComa)
- Synovial sarcoma
- Undifferentiated, unclassified soft tissue sarcomas
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Soft tissue sarcoma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Adult soft tissue sarcoma treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adult-soft-tissue-sarcoma/patient. Accessed May 1, 2015.
- Childhood soft tissue sarcoma treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/child-soft-tissue-sarcoma/Patient. Accessed May 1, 2015.
- Taking time: Support for people with cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/takingtime. Accessed May 1, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 16, 2015.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 17, 2015.