A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Nasal polyps, inflammation-related growths in the nasal passages or sinuses, can block the flow of air and fluid in your nose.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Nov. 07, 2012
- Snoring. American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/snoring.cfm. Accessed Aug. 30, 2012.
- Beninati W, et al. Overview of snoring in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 30, 2012.
- Snoring and sleep apnea. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. http://www.aaoms.org/sleep_apnea.php. Accessed Sept. 6, 2012.
- Rosen GM. Mechanisms and predisposing factors for sleep related breathing disorders in children. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 6, 2012.
- Strohl KP. Sleep related breathing disorders in adults: Definitions. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 10, 2012.
- Strohl KP. Overview of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 10, 2012.
- Paruthi S. Evaluation of suspected obstructive sleep apnea in children. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 10, 2012.
- Beninati W. Treatment of adults with snoring. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 30, 2012.
- Millman RP, et al. Polysomnography in obstructive sleep apnea in adults. http:/www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 10, 2012.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..00019-7&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&sid=1353392067&uniqId=361428808-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..00019-7. Accessed Sept. 10, 2012.
- Dave NB. Initiation of positive airway pressure therapy for obstructive sleep apnea in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 10, 2012.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane). Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 10, 2012.
- Puhan MA, et al. Didgeridoo playing as alternative treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome: Randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2006;332:266.
- Ernst AOE. Can singing exercises reduce snoring? A pilot study. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2000;8:151.
- Wardrop PJC, et al. Do wind and brass players snore less? A cross-sectional study of snoring and daytime fatigue in professional orchestral musicians. Clinical Otolaryngology. 2011;36:134.
- Antoniadou M, et al. Lung function in wind instrument players. Pneumon. 2012;25:180.
- Morgenthaler TI (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 15, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.