ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Sleepwalking itself isn't necessarily a concern, but sleepwalkers can:
July 31, 2014
- Easily hurt themselves — especially if they walk near furniture or stairs, wander outdoors, drive a car or eat something inappropriate during a sleepwalking episode
- Experience prolonged sleep disruption, which can lead to excessive daytime sleepiness and possible school or behavior issues
- Be embarrassed or experience problems with social relationships
- Disturb others' sleep
- Injure someone who is close by during the period of brief confusion immediately after waking or occasionally during the event
- Sleep-wake disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Carter KA, et al. Common sleep disorders in children. American Family Physician. 2014;89:368.
- Sleep-wake disorders. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed April 30, 2014.
- National sleep disorders research plan. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/prof/sleep/res_plan/section5/section5f.html. Accessed April 30, 2014.
- Sleepwalking. National Sleep Foundation. http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/abnormal-sleep-behaviors/sleepwalking/page/0%2C1/. Accessed April 30, 2014.
- Kotagal S. Sleepwalking and other parasomnias in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2014.
- Labelle MA, et al. Psychopathologic correlates of adult sleepwalking. Sleep Medicine. 2013;14:1348.
- Ebrahim IO. The nonrapid eye movement parasomnias: Recent advances and forensic aspects. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine. 2013;19:609.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 7, 2014.
- Sibler MH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 16, 2014.
- Sateia M. International Classification of Sleep Disorders. 3rd ed. Darien, Ill.: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2014. http://www.aasmnet.org/EBooks/ICSD3. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- Kotagal S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 19, 2014.