Acromegaly is an uncommon hormonal disorder caused by the overproduction of growth hormone. It typically causes signs such as enlarged hands and feet.
Chiari malformation is an uncommon condition in which brain tissue extends into the spinal canal, causing headaches and other potentially serious symptoms.
Practical tips for avoiding problems with CPAP — the primary treatment for obstructive sleep apnea.
Fatigue and widespread pain are common with fibromyalgia, a condition affecting mainly women. Treatment often focuses on managing symptoms with medication and self-care.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Hunter syndrome, a rare metabolic disorder, occurs when the body can't break down certain complex sugars. Complications occur as these sugars accumulate in the body.
Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
One of the most feared diseases of the 20th century, polio has been eradicated from the developed world but remains a threat in less developed nations.
Polysomnography is an overnight sleep study used to diagnose sleep apnea and other sleep disorders.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
When is a tonsillectomy needed for throat infections, sleep apnea or other tonsil problems? Find out when it might help.
A tracheostomy, a surgically created hole in the windpipe, enables a person to breathe when normal breathing is obstructed.
Jul. 24, 2012
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3633173. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- What is sleep apnea? National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/sleep_apnea/sleep_apnea.htm. Accessed April 27, 2012.
- What is sleep apnea? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sleepapnea/. Accessed April 27, 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9129170. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Javaheri S. Central sleep apnea. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2010;31:235.
- Badr MS. Central sleep apnea syndrome: Risk factors, clinical presentation, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Yaggi HK, et al. Adult obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome: Definitions, risk factors, and pathogenesis. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2010;31:179.
- Strohl KP. Overview of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Tamisier R, et al. Cardiovascular effects of obstructive sleep apnea. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Sunwoo B, et al. Ambulatory management of patients with sleep apnea: Is there a place for portable monitor testing?
- Kryger MH. Management of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Berry RB, et al. A novel nasal expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP) device for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea: A randomized controlled trial. Sleep. 2011;34:479.
- Provent therapy frequently asked questions. Ventus Medical. http://www.proventtherapy.com/provent-therapy-faq.php. Accessed May 2, 2012.
- Kushida CA, et al. Practice parameters for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea with oral appliances: An update for 2005. Sleep. 2006;29:240.
- Aurora RN, et al. Practice parameters for the surgical modifications of the upper airway for obstructive sleep apnea in adults. Sleep. 2010;33:1408.
- Badr MS. Central sleep apnea syndrome: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- 17. Randerath WJ, et al. Non-CPAP therapies in obstructive sleep apnoea. European Respiratory Journal. 2011;37:1000.
- Freire AO, et al. Treatment of moderate obstructive sleep apnea syndrome with acupuncture: A randomised, placebo-controlled pilot trial. Sleep Medicine. 2007;8:43.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.