Depending on your symptoms, you might start by seeing your family doctor, dentist or eye doctor. But you might eventually be referred to a doctor who specializes in the treatment of arthritis and other inflammatory conditions (rheumatologist).
What you can do
Make a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms and when they began
- Information about your current and past medical problems
- Information about your parents' or siblings' medical history
- All medications and dietary supplements you take, including doses
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
For Sjogren's syndrome, basic questions include:
- What is likely causing my symptoms?
- Are there other possible causes?
- What tests do I need?
- What treatment approach do you recommend?
- How soon can I expect my symptoms to improve with treatment?
- Am I at risk of long-term complications from this condition?
- I have other health conditions. How can I best manage them together?
- Do you have brochures or other printed materials that I can have? What websites do you recommend?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, including
- Do your symptoms follow a pattern — worsening throughout the day or when you go outdoors?
- Do you have chronic conditions such as high blood pressure or arthritis?
- Have you recently started new medications?
- Do any close relatives have rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or a similar disease?
Aug. 09, 2017
- Sjogren's syndrome. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. https://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Sjogrens_Syndrome/sjogrens_syndrome_ff.asp. Accessed May 23, 2017.
- Baer AN. Diagnosis and classification of Sjogren's syndrome. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 23, 2017.
- Sjogren's syndrome. American College of Rheumatology. https://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Sjogrens-Syndrome. Accessed May 23, 2017.
- Sjogren's syndrome. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/about-arthritis/types/sjogrens-syndrome/. Accessed May 23, 2017.
- Sjogren's syndrome. Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation. http://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens/symptoms. Accessed May 23, 2017.
- Baer AN. Treatment of dry mouth and other non-ocular sicca symptoms in Sjögren's syndrome. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 23, 2017.