Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
Anemia occurs in many forms, but all involve a shortage of healthy red blood cells. Treatment depends on what's causing your anemia.
Treatments and drugs
Blood transfusions boost blood levels that are low due to surgery, injury or disease. Learn about the benefits, risks and what to expect.
Jun. 11, 2014
- McCavit TL. Sickle cell disease. Pediatrics in Review 2012;33;195.
- Sickle cell anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sca/. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Vichinsky EP. Overview of the clinical manifestations of sickle cell disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Vichinsky EP, et al. Diagnosis of sickle cell disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Steinberg MH. In the clinic. Sickle cell disease. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2011;155:ITC3-1.
- Olowoyeye A, et al. Gene therapy for sickle cell disease. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007652.pub3/abstract. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Dong A, et al. Gene therapy for hemoglobinopathies: Progress and challenges. Translational Research. 2013;161:293.
- Sun K, et al. New insights into sickle cell disease: A disease of hypoxia. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2013;20:215.
- Gladwin MT, et al. Nitric oxide for inhalation in the acute treatment of sickle cell pain crisis: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011;305:893.
- Adam SS, et al. Potential role for statins in sickle cell disease. Pediatric Blood Cancer. 2013;60:550.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.