Bradycardia, a slower than normal heart rate, can cause the heart to pump too little oxygen-rich blood to the body.
Dizziness is one of the most common health concerns. However, few cases of dizziness are due to serious conditions.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Treatments and drugs
A pacemaker can correct a heartbeat that's too slow. Find out the risks, results and recovery time of the procedure to implant a pacemaker.
May. 20, 2011
- Sick sinus syndrome. Heart Rhythm Society. http://www.hrsonline.org/PatientInfo/HeartRhythmDisorders/SSS/index.cfm. Accessed Feb. 6, 2011.
- Bashore TM, et al. Heart disease. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2011. 50th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3671. Accessed Feb. 5, 2011.
- Adan V, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of sick sinus syndrome. American Family Physician. 2003;67:1725.
- Sinus node dysfunction. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec07/ch075/ch075b.html#sec07-ch075-ch075b-1076. Accessed Feb. 6, 2011.
- What is a pacemaker? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/pace/pace_all.html. Accessed Feb. 6, 2011.
- Saperia GM. Treatment of the sick sinus syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 5, 2011.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 11, 2011.