Diagnosis at Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Tests and procedures used to diagnose short bowel syndrome include:
April 08, 2014
- Lab tests. Blood tests and stool tests can detect low levels of nutrients and other chemicals related to digestion. Knowing which nutrients your body is deficient in helps guide your treatment.
- Imaging tests. Imaging tests may be used to assess your small intestine.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Wyllie R, et al. Pediatric Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Wall EA. An overview of short bowel syndrome management: Adherence, adaptation and practical recommendations. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2013;113:1200.
- Amin SC, et al. Short bowel syndrome in the NICU. Clinics in Perinatology. 2013;40:53.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 5, 2013.