Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
Hives and angioedema — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of these common allergic disorders.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Itching, sneezing and swelling: Find out what's causing your allergy symptoms.
Treatments and drugs
Which allergy medications are likely to relieve your symptoms? Find out about different medications, why they're used and potential side effects.
First aid for a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis).
Jun. 23, 2011
- Lopata AL, et al. Shellfish allergy. Clinical & Experimental Allergy. 2010;40: 850.
- Lopata AL, et al. New insights into seafood allergy. Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009;9:270.
- Sicherer SH. Seafood allergies: Fish and shellfish. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 5, 2011.
- Atopic and allergic disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec13/ch165/ch165c.html?qt=seadfood%20allergy&alt=sh. Accessed April 8, 2011.
- Seafood allergy. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/patients/advocate/2006/winter/seafood.asp. Accessed April 8, 2011.
- Kurowski K, et al. Food allergies: Detection and management. American Family Physician. 2008;77:1678.