Because pituitary hormones control so many aspects of your metabolism, Sheehan's syndrome can cause a number of problems, including:
- Adrenal crisis, a serious condition in which your adrenal glands produce too little of the hormone cortisol
- Low blood pressure
- Unintended weight loss
- Menstrual irregularities
Adrenal crisis: Life-threatening situation
The most serious complication is adrenal crisis, a sudden, life-threatening state that can lead to extremely low blood pressure, shock, coma and death.
Adrenal crisis usually occurs when your body is under marked stress — such as during surgery or a serious illness — and your adrenal glands produce too little cortisol, a powerful stress hormone.
Because of the potentially serious consequences of adrenal insufficiency, your doctor is likely to recommend that you wear a medical alert bracelet.
Jan. 02, 2014
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 11th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=788. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Kristjansdottir HL, et al. Sheehan's syndrome in modern times: A nationwide retrospective study in Iceland. European Journal of Endocrinology. 2011;164:348.
- Jain D. A ray of hope for a woman with Sheehan's syndrome. BMJ Case Reports. 2013;Feb.4:1.
- Tessnow AH, et al. The changing face of Sheehan's syndrome. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences. 2010;340:402.
- Generalized hypopituitarism. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/pituitary_disorders/generalized_hypopituitarism.html. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Nieman LK. Clinical manifestations of adrenal insufficiency in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Pituitary disorders overview. The Hormone Foundation. http://www.hormone.org/Pituitary/overview.cfm . Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Lockwood CJ. Overview of postpartum hemorrhage. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Snyder PJ. Treatment of hypopituitarism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct.14, 2013.
- Warren MP. Appropriate use of estrogen replacement therapy in adolescents and young adults with Turner syndrome and hypopituitarism in light of the Women's Health Initiative. Growth Hormone & IGF Research. 2006;16:S98.
- Birth control methods fact sheet. WomensHealth.gov. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm#h. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Growth hormone: Use and abuse. The Hormone Foundation. http://www.hormone.org/search-page?q=gorwth+hormone. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.