A spinal cord injury affects the nerves that carry impulses to and from your brain. Permanent disability commonly results.
Would you know if you were the target of domestic violence? Find out how to identify an abusive relationship — and how to get help.
A broken rib, or fractured rib, is a common injury that occurs when one of the bones in your rib cage breaks or cracks.
Coma is often a complication from a severe brain injury that leaves a person unconscious and unresponsive. Many people recover from this condition.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Whiplash is a neck injury often linked to auto accidents. Discover which treatments work and which don't.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Oct. 26, 2011
- Abusive head trauma: Shaken baby syndrome. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Abusive-Head-Trauma-Shaken-Baby-Syndrome.aspx. Accessed Aug. 5, 2011.
- Never shake your baby! March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/prematurity/28127.asp. Accessed Aug. 5, 2011.
- NINDS shaken baby syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/shakenbaby/shakenbaby.htm. Accessed Aug. 5, 2011.
- Christian C, et al. Epidemiology, mechanisms, and types of abusive head injury in infants and children. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 1, 2011.
- Christian C, et al. Evaluation and diagnosis of abusive head injury in infants and children. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 1, 2011.
- Barnes PD. The imaging of nonaccidental injury and the mimics: Issues and controversies in the era of evidence-based medicine. Radiologic Clinics of North America. 2011;49:205.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.