Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Jan. 15, 2016
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Severe sepsis and septic shock. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Nov. 23, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Sepsis, severe sepsis, and septic shock. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Schmidt GA, et al. Evaluation and management of severe sepsis and septic shock in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2015.
- Neviere R. Sepsis and the systemic inflammatory response syndrome: Definitions, epidemiology, and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2015.
- Hall JB, et al. Sepsis, severe shock, and septic shock. In: Principles of Critical Care. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Nov. 23, 2015.
- Sepsis and septic shock. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/critical-care-medicine/sepsis-and-septic-shock/sepsis-and-septic-shock. Accessed Nov. 23, 2015.