CausesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Infants and toddlers have little sense of time and few memories of past experiences. When you leave, your child may not know when — or if — you'll return. He or she may become upset when you're not together — even if you just step into another room for a few minutes.
Sometimes, separation anxiety can be triggered by changes in the child's life, such as:
May 30, 2015
- A new child care situation
- A new sibling
- A new home
- Family stress or tension
- How to ease your child's separation anxiety. HealthyChildren.org. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/toddler/Pages/Soothing-Your-Childs-Separation-Anxiety.aspx. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Children who won't go to school (separation anxiety). American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/aacap/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/Children_Who_Wont_Go_To_School_07.aspx. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Separation and stranger anxiety. Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/symptoms-in-infants-and-children/separation-and-stranger-anxiety. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Hay WW, et al. Child development and behavior. In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics. 22nd ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Separation and stranger anxiety. Merck Manual Consumer Edition. https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/children-s-health-issues/symptoms-in-infants-and-children/separation-and-stranger-anxiety. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Separation anxiety disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 11, 2015.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 26, 2015.