Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Dec. 09, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Self-mutilation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014. Accessed Oct. 8, 2015.
- Self-harm. National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Related-Conditions/Self-harm. Accessed Oct. 9, 2015.
- Self-injury. NAMI on Campus. http://www2.nami.org/content/navigationmenu/find_support/nami_on_campus1/mental_illness_fact_sheets/self-injury.pdf. Accessed Oct. 9, 2015.
- Self-injury. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.namigc.org/documents/selfinjury.pdf. Accessed Oct. 9, 2015.
- Facts for families: Self-injury in adolescents. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/Self_Injury_In_Adolescents_73.aspx. Accessed Oct. 9, 2015.
- Fox KR, et al. Meta-analysis of the risk factors for nonsuicidal self-injury. Clinical Psychology Review. In press. Accessed Oct. 9, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2015.09.002.
- Mental health and teens: Watch for danger signs. Healthychildren.org. https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/teen/Pages/Mental-Health-and-Teens-Watch-for-Danger-Signs.aspx. Accessed Oct. 9, 2015.
- Washburn JJ, et al. Psychotherapeutic approaches to non-suicidal self-injury in adolescents. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health. 2012;6:14.
- Turner BJ, et al. Treating nonsuicidal self-injury: A systematic review of psychological and pharmacological interventions. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2014;59:576.
- Conditions for further study: Nonsuicidal self-injury. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Oct. 9, 2015.
- Russell KR, et al. Identifying the signs of self-harm in students. NASN School Nurse. http://nas.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/02/04/1942602X15574776.full.pdf. Accessed Oct. 9, 2015.
- Klonsky ED, et al. Nonsuicidal self-injury: What we know and what we need to know. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2014;59:565.
- Trepal HC, et al. A cross-sectional matched sample study of nonsuicidal self-injury among young adults: Support for interpersonal and intrapersonal factors, with implications for coping strategies. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health. 2015;9:36.
- Lewis SP, et al. Nonsuicidal self-injury among youth. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2015;166:526.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 21, 2015.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 21, 2015.