Lifestyle and home remedies
You can't stop epidermoid cysts from forming. But you can help prevent scarring and infection by:
- Not squeezing a cyst yourself
- Placing a warm, moist cloth over the area to help the cyst drain and heal
Aug. 02, 2017
- Goldstein BG, et al. Overview of benign lesions of the skin. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 3, 2017.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Benign epithelial tumors, hamartomas and hyperplasias. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed April 3, 2017.
- Bolognia JL, et al., eds. Cysts. In: Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 3, 2017.
- Higgins JC, et al. Diagnosing common benign skin tumors. American Family Physician. 2015;92:601.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 7, 2017.